This article provides a brief outline of steps you need to take to setup your new Hosted account with Werkstatt. Full documentation is available in PDF format in your theme download. See How to Download Your Theme
Be sure to see our general overview for using your Hosted account and logging into WordPress here
Getting On Board
When you first login to WordPress, you will see some default notifications and the Envato Hosted getting started wizard:
- Click the X to dismiss the WP Bakery Page Builder activation request. This plugin is bundled with your theme and does not require activation.
- Click Let's Start! To run through the wizard. Please note that adding your domain here does NOT point the domain or make your site go live if your domain is already registered somewhere else with an existing site. It only submits a request to update your account and temporary URL. When you are ready to launch your site, you may then update the name servers at your domain host to get your new site to appear when your domain is typed into the browser. (We've linked a guide for that below)
Step 1 - Install Updates & Plugins
Before you can load any page templates, or import full demo content, you will need to install or update the required plugins that come with your theme, if prompted.
You will typically see a notice at the top of your page if plugins need to be installed or updated:
Click Begin installing plugins
If you do not see this notice, go to Werkstatt > Plugins
- At the top of the list you will see a count of how many plugins need to be installed or updated.
- Each install or update must be done one at a time.
- Do not use the bulk action menu to attempt a mass-install or update
- Click Install under any plugin with a Required tag that is not yet installed and click Return to Required Plugin Installer when it is done. Please note, some plugins can take several minutes. Be patient and do not navigate away from the page while the installer runs in the background.
- Update Slider Revolution and Visual Composer if available, one at a time.
- Go to Plugins in your admin sidebar menu.
- Click Update on Contact Form 7, if available.
- Activate the plugins if they are deactivated.
Install WooCommerce (optional)
If your site will have an online store, you must install the WooCommerce plugin.
- Go to Plugins > Add New and type WooCommerce into the Search field at top-right
- Click Install on WooCommerce
- Activate when complete
- You will be brought into the WooCommerce wizard.
When you are ready to get into detailed setup of your shop or products, refer to the WooCommerce documentation suite:
Step 2 - Configure WordPress
- Go to Settings > General
- Enter your site name and tagline (or leave the tagline blank) and click Save.
- Go to WP Bakery Page Builder > Role Manager
- Select Custom from the Post Types drop-down and ensure Page and Post are checked. Uncheck Page (your pages use Muffin Builder), then click Save.
Step 3 - Load a Pre-Made Design
Next, where you will begin depends on how you signed up for Envato Hosted.
- If you chose a BeTheme design via https://envato.com/websites, your design and plugins will be pre-installed and you can skip to Step 4
- If you signed up directly from the BeTheme page on themeforest.net, you'll need to decide if you want to start building your site from scratch, or if you want to start from one of the premade designs. The benefit of starting from scratch is that you have the cleanest results and only the content you have created. When using a demo, you have the benefit of pre-made layouts you can customize to some degree, but will need to delete all the demo pages and posts you won't use later when you're ready to launch.
To load a pre-made design:
- Click on Werkstatt > Demo Import
- Click the thumbnail for the design you would like to load.
- To preview it, click the Live Preview link and it will open in a new browser tab
- Ensure the required plugins it needs are checked off as installed and active, then click Install
- Wait a few minutes for the import to complete. When finished, you will see a success message and can preview your homepage
Only one demo should be loaded at a time, as each demo includes specific settings and custom styling and may not be able to overwrite existing content with the same page names.
Step 4 - Configure Theme Options
You can customize most aspects of your theme such as colors, fonts, layout and element visibility through the theme options panel.
- Click on Werkstatt > Theme Options in your admin sidebar.
- Go through each tab to customize the settings where desired.
- Click Save Changes when finished
Common Settings to check are:
- Your Logo set under the Header & Menu > Logo Settings tab
- The Fonts set under Typography
- Colors set under Customization
Step 5 - Customize Your Content
Werkstatt uses WPBakery Page Builder for custom page layouts. Please note that the front-end builder will not allow you to customize all elements or advanced options like padding and margins (in which case you must use the backend layout editor)
To begin editing a page, go to Pages and click to open the editor or view the page on the front-end and click Edit Page in your admin toolbar.
When editing Pages or Portfolio items designed using WPBakery Page Builder, you may edit the content or settings of an element by hovering over it and clicking the pencil icon.
Background images and padding are found under the Row and Column options by clicking the pencil icon in the top-right of each section
To delete and element, column or container, click the X icon
For detailed documentation on the page builder and the various elements you can add, see https://wpbakery.com/video-tutorials/
Importing Content from another site
If you have pre-existing posts or products exported to XML format from another WordPress website, you may import them under Tools > Import.
If the content you are transferring was NOT created in Werkstatt:
Post types like portfolios, testimonials, etc from a different theme cannot be imported to BeTheme and will need to be re-created using BeTheme's post types.
Page layouts created in another theme that used WPBakery Page Builder may only render partial content.
If you had posts such as Events or products that were created using a plugin on your old site, you need to install those plugins before importing your XML!
For general help :
- Customize Menus
- Customizing the Footer
- Getting Started With Contact Form 7
- Setup Your Email if using an address on your domain in contact forms
- Point Your Domain
For support or questions about your theme, you may search our answers or contact us via the green Get Help button in your WordPress admin