Generic error code is 503 Server Unavailable
This error typically indicates a plugin conflict or other process on your site is unable to complete. The error can occur during a plugin update or activation, or while trying to access some parts of your admin like the Customizer or Theme Options panel.
- Outdated theme
- Plugin conflict or outdated plugins. The following plugins must be kept updated to maintain compatibility with WordPress and are known to cause this error if left outdated:
- Slider Revolution
- WP Bakery Page Builder
- Wordfence Security or Sucuri
- Yoast SEO
- (in rare cases) Server issue unrelated to your site content
Step 1 - Can you access your WordPress admin?
If no, contact us (see below)
If yes, continue:
- Go to Dashboard → Updates and ensure your theme and plugins are updated. Plugins that come bundled in your theme require the latest theme version to be installed before they can update.
- See How To Update Your Theme
- Make sure you don't do anything else in your admin while themes or plugins are installing/activating!
- If you receive one of these errors while trying to update or activate a plugin, check the following:
- Click the Flush Cache button in your admin toolbar at the top of the screen.
- Check all three boxes and click Flush
- Click OK
- If the error re-occurs, go to and deactivate all plugins.
- Try the action that produced the error again.
- If this works, click around your menu to visit other pages and ensure they work.
- Your theme should display a notice to Activate required plugins. Follow the link to do so, then try again. If the error re-occurs after activating one of these plugins, continue to Step 2 below
- To test other plugins you installed yourself, you will need to reactivate each one at a time and test after each until you find the one causing the problem and either reinstall it, replace it or leave it deactivaed. Please review our disallowed plugin list to make sure you do not enable any caching or security plugins that could be causing the problem.
Step 2 - Still Not Working?
If this is a new site or it is still not working, please get in touch with us via the Support tab of your Hosted account and include the following:
- Did you recently install or update a theme or plugin? If so which one?
- What was the last thing you remember doing in your admin?
- When were you last able to load the site without this error?