Your theme and pre-made website design may come with a pre-designed footer consisting of a few columns containing information like your site logo and company information, a list of links, social icons or a newsletter form. Your footer can be customized in two parts: the theme options that determine the layout and style, and the widgets that determine what kind of content it displays.
Because every theme is different, please refer to your theme setup documentation for specific instructions on footer options.Below is a general guide for how to use the customizer to setup widgets.
Configure Footer Columns, Colors & Copyright text
Options such as how many columns your footer has, how wide it is, what colors and fonts it uses and what the copyright text says are stored in your Themes Options panel. Refer to your theme documentation for where to find this setting - typically it is under your Theme's menu link in the admin menu.
- Go to Appearance > Customize
- Click on Widgets
- Here you will see all of the widget areas in the page, including any Footer panels or Footer Columns. Expand each one to access that widget area to edit, remove or add widgets.
Editing Logo and Company info columns
If your theme includes a column with an image logo, social links and some text, this is often done with custom code and is difficult to edit and may cause your footer to break. Following is advice on how to rebuild this style of footer content using default WordPress widgets so it is easier to manage.
- Delete any existing widgets in the first footer column area
- Click Add Widget and select the Image Widget
- Add your logo to the widget. If you need to resize it, click Edit Image and choose Custom for the size and enter 100 or less in the height value, then save.
- Click Add Widget and select the Text Widget. Add your desired title (optional) and text.
- To add social links, we recommend the Simple Social Icons plugin which provides a Social Links widget. See How to Add Social Links to Footer