Before you begin, you will need to determine how your theme receives updates. The manual update process works for all themes if you are unsure.
Your theme must always be updated before you will be able to run updates for premium bundled plugins, even if you are already seeing the update notice for those plugins. Premium bundled plugins include Visual Composer, Slider Revolution, LayerSlider, Ultimate VC Addons and Events Manager Pro
Update via Theme Options
If your theme has its own updater, it is usually outlined in your theme documentation or you can find it under the theme's options menu in your WordPress admin.
Update Using Envato Market Plugin
If your theme uses the Envato Market Plugin to update, you will see it under Plugins in your list of installed plugins.
- Login to Themeforest and click on your account at top-right and choose Settings
- Click API Keys under Details on the left and copy the API Key
- Click on Envato Market menu in your WordPress Dashboard.
- Enter your API Key and you will be able to see your purchased items which is included your theme
- Click to update the theme
Update via the WordPress Dashboard
If your theme has auto-updating included, you will be notified by WordPress that updates are available when they are released by the theme author.
1. To check for updates, look for the orange bubble under Dashboard > Updates
2. If an update is available for your theme, it will be listed under the Themes section
- Check the box next to your theme
- Click Update Themes
- Wait and do not navigate away from the page
- When the update completes, you will see a success message and be redirected to the Themes page in your admin (if you are not redirected, click "Return to Themes page"
- Download your theme from your themeforest Downloads page and save it to your desktop.
- Unzip the download to find the installable .zip file for your theme. If you are on MacOS, you may already have an unzipped folder on your desktop.
- In WordPress, go to Appearance > Themes and activate TwentySeventeen (or any other theme)
- Click on your theme and click Delete at lower-right. This only deletes the theme file, NOT your content, images or pages!
- Click on Add New at the top
- Browse to your theme's install .zip file and click Open
- Click Install
- Wait for the file to upload - this may take a few minutes. The progress is shown in the bottom-left corner of your browser window.
- When complete, the theme will unpack and present you with a success message. Click Activate.
Update Bundled Plugins
In general, you will not be able to update bundled premium plugins from the WordPress admin Plugin page. Always update them following this process from the theme's plugin page. In themes that support this form of updating, the bundled plugin page will be accessible from the update notification or may have a menu option under the Theme's menu link in the admin or Theme Options menu (for example, The7 > Plugins)
- A notice will appear if any bundled plugins need an update.
- Note: The wording may vary between themes
- Make sure your theme has been updated first, then click Begin updating plugins. You will be brought to the theme's plugin management page.
- Click Update under first Active plugin needing an update, then wait.
- Under Status on the far right, you can see which plugins are active. You only need to worry about active plugins - if plugins are installed but not active and you do not plan to use them, they should be deleted (explained at the end of this guide)
- Some plugins can take several minutes to download and run. Do not navigate away from the page. (you should see the "spinner" in the browser tab and a "waiting..."message at the bottom of the browser window to let you know its working on it.
- When complete, you will see a Success message. Click Return to Plugins Installer
- Repeat these steps to update any other Active plugins.
Deleting Unused Plugins
If you have plugins installed you wont be using, such as a Twitter widget or WooCommerce, you may safely delete them and dismiss any further notice to install them.
- Click on Plugins
- Deactivate any plugins you don't plan to use if they are not deactivated already
- Hover over each plugin you want to delete and click Delete
- Be patient and do not navigate away from the page until all plugins you deleted disappear from the list Deletions can take a few minutes and will display a success notice when completed.