Before you begin, you will need to determine how your theme receives updates. The manual update process works for all themes if you are unsure.
Don't You Manage My Updates?
We manage WordPress and server-related updates for your site, but to ensure your site remains stable and working, we leave updates to your site content (including your theme and plugins) to you so appropriate preparation can be done such as backups, testing and enabling a maintenance mode plugin.
Subscribe to Update notifications
Be sure to subscribe to update notifications for your theme on Envato Market, even if your theme includes WordPress Dashboard notices.
Envato Market Plugin
Envato Market plugin is not currently compatible with Envato Hosted themes, due to how the theme licenses are managed in the subscription. We hope to enable you to use the plugin's features on Envato Hosted very soon.
Update Your Theme Before Plugins!
Your theme must always be updated before you will be able to run updates for premium bundled plugins, even if you are already seeing the update notice for those plugins. Premium bundled plugins in your theme may include Visual Composer (WP Bakery Page Builder), Slider Revolution, LayerSlider, Ultimate VC Addons and Events Manager Pro
Automatic Update Methods
If your theme has its own updater, it is usually outlined in your theme documentation or you can find it under the theme's options menu in your WordPress admin.
For Avada, use this guide
If you are using a theme that was not pre-installed as part of your Envato Hosted subscription, please refer to the theme author's documentation and support for help with updating.
Update via the WordPress Dashboard
If your theme has auto-updating included, you will be notified by WordPress that updates are available when they are released by the theme author.
1. To check for updates, look for the orange bubble under Dashboard > Updates
2. If an update is available for your theme, it will be listed under the Themes section.
If your theme is not listed here, see Manual Updates below.
- Check the box next to your theme
- Click Update Themes
- Wait and do not navigate away from the page
- When the update completes, you will see a success message and be redirected to the Themes page in your admin (if you are not redirected, click "Return to Themes page"
This process should only be done when you know there is an update available for your theme and it is the only method available.
- Go to themeforest.net and login at top-right using your Envato account (the same one you use for your Envato Hosted account).
- Download your theme from your account profile Downloads page and save it to your desktop.
- Unzip the download to find the installable .zip file for your theme. If you are on MacOS, you may already have an unzipped folder on your desktop.
- Enable maintenance mode. If you do not have a maintenance mode plugin installed, go to Plugins > Add New and search for Minimal Coming Soon & Maintenance Mode, then install and activate. This will add a button to your admin bar where you can configure your logo and background image, then enable maintenance mode. This plugin shows a splash page to everyone but you.
- In WordPress, go to Appearance > Themes and activate TwentySeventeen.
- If you do not have the default theme loaded, click Add theme and install/activate it from there. Return to the main Appearance > themes screen.
- You may optionally also enable a maintenance mode plugin during this process.
- Click on your theme's image to open the details and click Delete at lower-right.
- This only deletes the theme file, NOT your content, images or pages!
- This may take a few minutes. Wait until the image disappears and the process is complete.
- Click on Add New at the top, then Upload Theme
- Browse to your theme's install .zip file and click Open (example: bridge.zip, kloe.zip, stockholm.zip, etc)
- Click Install
- Wait for the file to upload - this may take several minutes, so do not browse away from the window! The progress is shown in the bottom-left corner of your browser window.
- When complete, the theme will unpack and present you with a success message. Click Activate.
- Continue with updating plugins below
Update Bundled Plugins
In general, you will not be able to update bundled premium plugins from the WordPress admin Plugin page. Always update them following this process from the theme's plugin page. In themes that support this form of updating, the bundled plugin page will be accessible from the update notification or may have a menu option under the Theme's menu link in the admin or Theme Options menu (for example, The7 > Plugins)
- A notice will appear if any bundled plugins need an update.
- Note: The wording may vary between themes
- Make sure your theme has been updated first, then click Begin updating plugins. You will be brought to the theme's plugin management page.
- Click Update under first Active plugin needing an update, then wait.
- Under Status on the far right, you can see which plugins are active. You only need to worry about active plugins - if plugins are installed but not active and you do not plan to use them, they should be deleted (explained at the end of this guide)
- Some plugins can take several minutes to download and run. Do not navigate away from the page. (you should see the "spinner" in the browser tab and a "waiting..."message at the bottom of the browser window to let you know its working on it.
- When complete, you will see a Success message. Click Return to Plugins Installer
- Repeat these steps to update any other Active plugins.
Flush the Cache
- Click Flush Cache in your admin toolbar at the top of the screen.
- Check all three boxes and click Flush
- Click OK
- Go to your Theme Options for your theme and click Save to re-save them. This is critically important when updating themes like Bridge and Uncode.
Delete Unused Plugins
If you have plugins installed you wont be using, such as a Twitter widget or WooCommerce, you may safely delete them and dismiss any further notice to install them.
- Click on Plugins
- Deactivate any plugins you don't plan to use if they are not deactivated already
- Hover over each plugin you want to delete and click Delete
- Be patient and do not navigate away from the page until all plugins you deleted disappear from the list Deletions can take a few minutes and will display a success notice when completed.