You may see a white maintenance page on your site if any of the following are happening:
- WordPress is updating itself
- A plugin is being updated
- A theme is updating
This maintenance message is enabled by WordPress automatically to ensure actions are not made that could corrupt a file during update. Some updates are automated, but theme and plugin updates are usually initiated by someone with admin access to your site.
If your Hosted Support team are ever doing actual scheduled maintenance on your server that could impact the availability of your site, you will receive an email from envato.com well in advance with the date and expected timeframes. If you have recently opened a support ticket with us, we typically inform you if an update needs to be done and enable a maintenance mode plugin so your visitors do not see this message.
- Don't do anything else in your admin while a theme or plugin update is running
- Do not close the page the update is running on. If you already did by accident, you should still be able to login to your admin.
- This message should go away on its own when the update completes.
If the Message Isn't Going Away
If you are comfortable working with FTP, you may also do the following:
- Connect to your site using an FTP client
- In the root folder of your site, you should see .maintenance
- Delete that file (do not delete anything else in the root!)
- That's it! Your homepage should load.
Please note, this will allow you to access areas previously restricted by the message, but will not solve the underlying issue, so you may need to verify any updates completed successfully.
If you are not comfortable troubleshooting it yourself, or if this is a new site and it is still not working, please get in touch with us via the Support tab of your Hosted account or the green Support button in your admin and include the following:
- Did you recently install or update a theme or plugin? If so which one?
- What was the last thing you remember doing in your admin?
- When were you last able to load the site without this error?