Your domain name is the unique, friendly url used to identify your website in the browser. Your domain registrar controls the domain name similar to how your local court clerk's office controls business name registrations. This registrar takes all of the requests made to that url when someone browses to it, and then sends them to where the website data lives. You may register a domain name anywhere, including Envato. How you register it will determine how it is added to your account.
Access Domain Management
You may manage your domain actions from your Envato Hosted account dashboard:
- Login to your Envato Hosted dashboard at https://build.envatohostedservices.com/
- Click the gear icon under your listed plan on the right and choose Add Domain
- You will be presented with three paths depending on where you want your domain registration to be managed.
- Register a New Domain -We can register you a brand new one and get you set up.
- Transfer Your Domain - best for expiring domains or cases where your domain is part of a web hosting package you will be cancelling at your old host.*
- Do It Yourself - best when your domain is on a neutral registrar already and you just need it to begin loading your new site.
*Envato does not host email. If you need email for your domain name, you may use a provider such as GSuite or ZOHO, or may consider keeping your domain at your current registrar and using the Do It Yourself option.
Add an Existing Domain You Already Own
If you already own a domain name, you have two options for adding it to your Envato account depending on where the domain is currently registered.
If your domain is registered with a neutral registrar
A neutral registrar is usually a domain name service such as namecheap, domain.com, godaddy or similar and allows you to manage your domain separately from any web hosting. In these cases, you can simply point that domain to Envato by updating the DNS settings on that domain host.
- Choose the Do It Yourself option
- Enter your domain name into the field provided and click Submit Request
- See How to Point Domains to Envato
It can take up to 24 hours for DNS changes with your registrar to take effect. In the meantime, you can access your site at your temp URL (be sure to check your email for the confirmation which contains your new temp url!)
If your domain is hosted by your former web host
First, get in touch with your current host to inquire about how your domain is managed once you cancel your web hosting. In cases where the domain needs to be transferred to avoid additional charges or hosting costs, you can transfer it to a neutral registrar such as domain.com or namecheap.com, or transfer it directly to Envato as outlined below.
Transfer A Domain to Envato
If Your domain is on a neutral registrar
We recommend you keep it there to avoid unnecessary interruption of service to your email or traffic.See How to Point Domains to Envato
If Your domain is registered by your former web host
When you have registered a domain at your web host, you may be unable to cancel that web hosting account without losing the domain, will incur charges if the domain is left on that web host, or may be forced to transfer it. In these cases, you can transfer the domain to a neutral domain host, or to Envato as the domain host. Continue with the following:
- Ensure your domain has been unlocked at its current host. If you are unsure how to do this, please reference your domain registrar's documentation or contact their support personnel.
- Ensure your domain has privacy protection disabled for the transfer process
- Ensure the admin contact email is correct and you can be reached - this is where the transfer codes and confirmation are sent.
- Make sure you check your SPAM folder if you are not receiving domain transfer emails from your host after initiating the transfer.
- From the New Domain screen, click Transfer an Existing Domain listed under "Bring Your Own"
- Ensure the Transfer option is selected, then enter your domain name and click the green button.
- You will need to provide the Authorization Code (also called an Auth Code or EPP Key). The transfer Authorization Code is created when the domain is first registered and can be obtained from the current Registrar for your domain or where your domain is hosted.
- Read through our Terms of Service, then click the I agree box to continue with your order.
Your WordPress install and temporary URL will be updated with the new domain name right away. Any former temp url will stop working, so please check your inbox for your domain registration confirmation containing your new temp URL!
Your new domain name may take up to 72 hours to begin working if the transfer is successful. Additional delays can be caused by your current registrar/host if they refuse to release the domain. You will typically be notified by them if this is the case. Please use the temp URL in the meantime.
You are now able to update its nameservers, domain contact information, and more, right from your Envato Hosted dashboard. Simply log into your new account and go to the Domains tab to manage your domain.
Here’s a direct link to get you started:
Register a New Domain
If you don't have a domain name yet, click Register a New Domain. If you are adding an existing domain, skip to the next section.
You will be brought to the Order a Domain page:
- Enter your desired domain name and domain extension, then click Order a Domain.
- Domain names can be tough to register when they are already taken or not unique enough. If you haven't vetted your domain name ideas yet, try Namemesh or Lean Domain Search for ideas.
- Be sure to read through our Terms of Service, then click the I agree box to continue with your order.
Your WordPress install and temporary URL will be updated with the new domain name right away.
Any former temp url will stop working, so please check your inbox for your domain registration confirmation containing your new temp URL!
Your new domain name may take up to 24 hours to begin working. Please use the temp URL in the meantime.
My Domain Extension Isn't Listed!
If you need a domain extension that is not available on our registration form, you may register your domain at a neutral registrar like namecheap.com for the same low price. Once registered, please follow the instructions for pointing your domain to Envato
Envato does not host email! If you would like to setup email inboxes using your new domain, we recommend G suite from Google https://gsuite.google.com/