This article provides a brief outline of steps you need to take to setup your new Hosted account with Soledad.
Be sure to see our general overview for using your Hosted account and logging into WordPress here
Getting On Board
When you first login to WordPress, you will see some default notifications and the Envato Hosted getting started wizard:
- You will see a Mailchimp Notice at the top asking for your Mailchimp API key. You may ignore that and do it later if you plan to setup newsletter subscriptions on your site.
- Click Let's Start! To run through the wizard. Please note that adding your domain here does NOT point the domain or make your site go live if your domain is already registered somewhere else with an existing site. It only submits a request to update your account and temporary URL. When you are ready to launch your site, you may then update the name servers at your domain host to get your new site to appear when your domain is typed into the browser. (We've linked a guide for that below)
Step 1 - Install Updates & Plugins
Before you can load any page templates, or import full demo content, you will need to install or update the required plugins that come with your theme, if prompted.
You will typically see a notice at the top of your page if plugins need to be installed or updated:
Click Begin installing plugins
If you do not see this notice, go to Appearance > Install Plugins
You may SKIP this step if you signed up for Envato Hosted via the Envato Websites marketplace as the plugins will be pre-installed for you.
Click Begin updating plugins
If you do not see this notice, go to Plugins and check for the yellow update notices
- At the top of the list you will see a count of how many plugins need to be installed or updated.
- Each install or update must be done one at a time.
- Do not use the bulk action menu to attempt a mass-install or update
- Click Install under any plugin with a Required tag that is not yet installed and click Return to Required Plugin Installer when it is done. Please note, some plugins can take several minutes. Be patient and do not navigate away from the page while the installer runs in the background.
- Click Update under the plugins needing updates.
Step 2 - Load a Pre-Made Design
Next, where you will begin depends on how you signed up for Envato Hosted.
- If you chose a Soledad design via https://envato.com/websites, your design and plugins will be pre-installed and you can skip to Step 4
- If you signed up directly from the Soledad theme page on Envato Market (themeforest.net) you'll need to decide if you want to start building your site from scratch, or if you want to start from one of the pre-made designs. The benefit of starting from scratch is that you have the cleanest results and only the content you have created. When using a demo, you have the benefit of pre-made layouts you can customize, but will need to delete all the demo pages and posts before you are ready to launch.
- If you have migrated or imported existing posts from another site, it is really important you go with option 2 so the demo post content is not imported.
To load a pre-made design with full content (you have a new or fresh site):
- Go to Settings > Reading and ensure Your Latest Posts is selected for Front Page Displays: and click Save.
- Click on Appearance > Import Demo Data
- Click the thumbnail for the design you would like to load.
- To preview it, click the Live Preview link and it will open in a new browser tab
- Ensure the required plugins it needs are checked off as installed and active, then click Install
- Wait a few minutes for the import to complete. When finished, you will see a success message and can preview your homepage
To load just the design (no demo posts - you will import your own content):
This option requires you to download your theme files from your themeforest.net profile and unzip them to find the Customizer Data folder. Please contact us if you need help loading a demo without the content if you have imported content from your old site already.
- If you have pre-existing posts or products exported to XML format from another WordPress website, you may import them under Tools > Import under the WordPress Import option.
Important note for those of you migrating or importing content from a site that was not using Soledad:
Post types like portfolios, testimonials, etc from a different theme cannot be imported to Soledad and will need to be re-created.
Page layouts created in another theme that used Visual Composer will not look the same but can work in Soledad by activating Visual Composer (explained in Step 4).
If you had posts such as Events or products that were created using a plugin on your old site, you need to install those plugins before importing your XML!
- Go to Plugins > Add New
- Search for Customizer Import/Export and install the plugin.
- When complete, click Activate
- Search for Regenerate Thumbnails and install/activate that one too.
- Go to Appearance > Customize > Export/Import > Import
- Choose customize data file ( .dat file ) for demo you want to import from the customizer data folder in your unzipped theme folder on your computer
- Go to Tools > Regen. Thumbnails
- Click Regenerate All Thumbnails and wait for it to complete. Do not navigate away from the page until it is done! (you can open a new tab to continue doing stuff)
Step 3 - Configure WordPress
- Go to Settings > General
- Enter your site name and tagline (or leave the tagline blank) and click Save.
- Go to Settings > Permalinks
- Ensure Post Name is selected and click Save.
Step 4 - Configure Theme Options
You can customize most aspects of your theme such as colors, fonts, layout and element visibility through the theme options panel. Soledad offers detailed documentation here.
- Click on Appearance > Customize
- Go through each tab to customize the settings where desired.
- Click Save Changes when finished
Common Settings to check are:
- Your Logo set under the Logo & Header tab
- The Social Icon links set under Social Media Options
- Your Sidebar and Footer content under Widgets (you must be viewing a page with a sidebar for it to appear there)
When configuring things like Single Post Options, browse to a single post in the preview pane first so you can see the options take effect.
Note: Not all options will update in the live preview. Some options require the options to be saved and the customizer refreshed to take effect, such as hover colors.
Step 5 - Customize Your Content
Soledad is a fixed template theme, meaning the homepage is configured via the Appearance > Customize screen options and is not created using an actual page or builder. The theme does include a free copy of Slider Revolution and Visual Composer which may be optionally installed if you want to create custom intros or page layouts, but it is important to note that these will not help you change or modify the existing layouts. View Guide
Your home page slider is found under Penci Slider in your admin menu. Click on the slider thumbnail to enter the editor. View the Overview for Customizing slides
For visual help with setup, see the Soledad video guides
For general help :
- Customize Menus
- Customizing the Footer
- Getting Started With Contact Form 7
- How to Setup Email for Your Domain
For support or questions about your theme, you may search our answers or contact us via the green Get Help button in your WordPress admin