This article provides a brief outline of steps you need to take to setup your new Hosted account with the StartIt theme.
In most cases, the theme and plugins come pre-installed in which case you can skip to step 3.
Step 1 - Install Plugins
Before you can load any page templates, or import full demo content, you will need to install the required plugins that come with your theme.
You will typically see a notice at the top of your page if plugins need to be installed:
StartIt requires Revolution Slider, LayerSlider, Select Core and WPBakery Visual Composer to be installed and activated. If you do not see this notice, click Plugins to ensure these are already active and skip to Step 2. The Twitter Feed plugin is optional.
- Click Begin installing plugins
- Check the box at the top of the list to select all
- Choose Install under each plugin (we recommend doing them one at a time)
- This process may take several minutes to complete - do not navigate away from the page until finished. The page will refresh and show you Activate links when install is complete.
- Click Activate under each plugin (or check the box to select all and choose Activate from the Bulk Actions drop-down)
Bundled plugins such as Revoution Slider may display update and registration notices. These plugins are managed by your theme and do not need to be updated/registered separately. Please dismiss or X out of these notices.
Step 2 - Configure WordPress
- Go to Settings > Permalinks
- Choose Post Name and click Save
Step 3 - Import Demo
Next, you'll need to decide if you want to start building your site from scratch, or if you want to start from one of the demos. The benefit of starting from scratch is that you have the cleanest results and only the content you have created. When using a demo, you have the benefit of pre-made layouts you can customize, but will need to delete all the un-needed pages and posts later when you're ready to launch. Some demos load a great deal of content you may not use!
- Click on Select Options > Import
- Select Import Type StartIT, or StartIt OnePage if you only want the single-page demo
- Choose All from what to import dropdown
- Click Yes to import attachments
- Click Import to begin the import.
The images can take awhile to transfer (over 10 minutes). Please wait for the bar to reach 100% and do not navigate away from the page until complete.
Step 4 - Configure Theme Options
You can customize most aspects of your theme such as colors, fonts, layout and element visibility through the theme options panel.
- Click on Theme Panel in your WordPress admin menu to get started
- Go through each tab to customize the settings where desired.
- Click Save Changes when finished
Common Settings to check are:
- Your Logo set under the Logo tab
- Your Email Address set under Contact Form
- The Social Icon links set under Social Media
Step 5 - Customize Your Content
StartIt uses custom code in the Contact Form 7 forms seen on the demo. To learn more about creating custom forms, please see How do I get my Contact Form to look like the demo?
Editing Page Layouts
When editing Pages, Posts or Portfolio items designed using Visual Composer, you may edit the content of an element by hovering over it and clicking the pencil icon.
To delete and element, column or container, click the trash can icon
To change thw width of a column inside a Container, click the number button in the top-left corner of the column and choose your desired width. Widths are relative to the total number of columns in that row - 1/1 is one full-width column, 2/3 is two-thirds of a 3 column layout and so on.
To change the background image or a section, you'll see a dot with the image thumbnail in the Row element where you can click the pencil icon to edit, then click the Design tab to set the image
For detailed documentation on Visual Composer and the various elements you can add, see the Visual Composer Academy videos