This article walks you through where to locate and manage your Envato Hosted daily backups, perform manual backups, or restore a backup in the event of a major problem.
Where To Find Your Backups
- Login to your Hosted Dashboard
- Under your listed plan(s) you will see a small gear icon at the end of the row. Click to access your options menu.
- Choose Backups
- Here you will find a list of the last 30 backups made of your site. Each one will show the date created to give you an idea of where that restore point would be, or a note if Support created one for you.
Creating a Manual Backup
Manual backups are recommended if you are about to perform a major change or update to your site and want to take a snapshot before ou do it. Note that backups take awhile to complete, so give yourself at least an hour lead.
- From the Backups list page, click the green Create Backup button at top-left
- An entry will be added to the list indicating the backup is in progress. Do not navigate away from the page until it is complete.
Restoring a Backup
Before you restore a backup, understand that it will replace your entire site with a snapshot from the time the backup was taken!
- From the list of backups, locate the correct restore date
- Click Restore
- Confirm and then wait. Restores can take awhile - up to an hour! So please be patient and do not use your WordPress admin until it is complete.
Note: Backup files can be very large and take awhile to download, depending on how many files are in your media library.
To download the backup, click Download
Off-site Backups in WordPress
Envato Hosted does daily snapshots of your site in the event your site crashes or something drastic happens, in which case we can restore your site to the last snapshot if needed. In most cases, these backups are useful if you want to setup a copy of your site for local development, migrate to a different server yourself, or setup a copy of the site elsewhere.
If you want to create a backup of everything in WordPress yourself, just a database export, or have an off-site backup as an insurance policy against something happening to your server (and thus the backups), we recommend using a service such as ManageWP or VaultPress.
Off-site backups ensure you have a backup somewhere other than Envato that you can access in the event of a server failure, loss of access to your account or because you just want specific content backed up (like your database, but not the images or uploads)
Recommended if you would like offsite backups:
- WP DB Backup — Use only with dropbox or CDN backup option.
- Dropbox Backup
Special Note on Plugins
In general, we discourage the use of backup plugins that save data to your Envato Hosted webspace. We request you only use these to download a one-time export, or use plugins that exclusively backup to a secure, offsite location such as DropBox or a CDN provider. If you need to move an existing site to Envato Hosted, please request our Migration service or see How to Backup Restore or Export Content from an Old site to Envato.
We do not allow the ongoing use of the following plugins:
- WP DB Manager
For more help with backing up WordPress, please contact WordPress Theme Support by clicking Get Help below.