WordPress.com and full WordPress installs on an independent host like Envato are very different from one another. You will have access to a lot more options and controls than you did previously. If you are new to full WordPress installs, please take some time to go over Getting Started With WordPress to learn the ins and outs of your new admin panel and Getting Started With Your Account for an overview of your Hosted dashboard.
Themes on WordPress.com are also fundamentally different than the themes offered on Envato Hosted. The theme you choose here will have far more options for customization, post types and layout than your WordPress.com theme. For this reason we are not able to migrate sites on WordPress.com the same way we can migrate other WordPress installs.
The following steps explain how you can export the majority of your content from WordPress.com and move it over to your new Envato Hosted site easily:
Exporting and Importing Content
- Export your content from your wordpress.com blog. View Steps Here
- Login to your new WordPress install on Envato Hosted. View Steps Here
- Click on Tools > Import in your admin sidebar
- Click Install under the WordPress option and follow the prompts to install and activate the plugin
- Import your file. View Detailed Steps Here
The JetPack plugin powers most of the features you formerly had access to on WordPress.com including Projects (portfolio posts), Tiled Galleries, Social Sharing and Publicize. You can still take advantage of these features from your new site.
- Go to Plugins > Add New
- Click Install on the JetPack thumbnail in the featured list
- When complete, click Activate
- Login to your WordPress.com account to activate
- Visit Recommended JetPack Settings for Envato Hosted to enable the features you need.
Adapting Your Content To Your New Theme
Continue through your theme setup per the documentation, making any necessary changes to your category structure, adding new content, or editing menus.
Don't know how to access your Theme Documentation? Visit our general Getting Started Guides here
Next, you may need to edit your posts to adjust how things like featured images and videos display, depending on your WordPress.com theme.
- Under Posts, edit a post and check the post body for images or video links at the beginning of the post that you intend to use as the featured image or video and remove them
- Add the featured image using the WordPress Featured Image option or the theme's process for featuring video.
- Install the Regenerate Thumbnails plugin(search for it under → , then run it from → . This resets all pre-existing images to fit the new theme specifications and allows the image ratio options in your builder to work well.
Still need help? Feel free to contact us and make sure to mention you are migrating from WordPress.com