This article provides a brief outline of steps you need to take to setup your new Hosted account with Select Themes such as Stockholm, Pitch, Kloe, Bodega and Capri
Be sure to see our general overview for using your Hosted account and logging into WordPress here
Getting On Board
When you first login to WordPress, you will see some default notifications and the Envato Hosted getting started wizard:
- Click the X to dismiss the WP Bakery Page Builder (aka Visual Composer) activation request. This plugin is bundled with your theme and does not require activation.
- Click Let's Start! To run through the wizard. Please note that adding your domain here does NOT point the domain or make your site go live if your domain is already registered somewhere else with an existing site. It only submits a request to update your account and temporary URL. When you are ready to launch your site, you may then update the name servers at your domain host to get your new site to appear when your domain is typed into the browser. (We've linked a guide for that below)
Step 1 - Install Updates & Plugins
Before you can load any page templates, or import full demo content, you will need to install or update the required plugins that come with your theme, if prompted.
You will typically see a notice at the top of your page if plugins need to be installed or updated:
Click Begin installing (or updating) plugins
If you do not see this notice, skip to the next section
Bundled plugins such as WP Bakery Page Builder (Visual Composer), Revolution Slider, LayerSlider, etc that come with your theme are managed by the theme and cannot be updated manually on the main Plugins page. You may safely dismiss and ignore any activation or registration notices for these plugins as they will be updated when the theme is updated via the above process.
- At the top of the list you will see a count of how many plugins need to be installed, activated or updated.
- Each install or update must be done one at a time.
- Do not use the bulk action menu to attempt a mass-install or update
- Click Install under any plugin with a Required tag that is not yet installed and click Return to Required Plugin Installer when it is done. Please note, some plugins can take several minutes. Be patient and do not navigate away from the page while the installer runs in the background.
- Update Slider Revolution and Visual Composer if available, one at a time.
- Activate required plugins if they are deactivated.
Configure WooCommerce (optional)
If your site will have an online store, you must setup the WooCommerce plugin.
When you are ready to get into detailed setup of your shop or products, refer to the WooCommerce documentation suite:
Step 2 - Configure WordPress
- Go to Settings > General
- Enter your site name and tagline (or leave the tagline blank) and click Save.
- Go to on WP Bakery Page Builder > Role Manager
- Select Custom from the Post Types drop-down and ensure Page, Portfolio, Product and Post are checked, then click Save.
Step 3 - Load Demo Content
Next, where you will begin depends on how you signed up for Envato Hosted.
- If you chose a Select design via https://envato.com/websites, your design and plugins will be pre-installed and you can skip to Step 4
- If you signed up directly from the theme page on themeforest.net, you'll need to decide if you want to start building your site from scratch, or if you want to start from one of the premade demo templates. The benefit of starting from scratch is that you have the cleanest results and only the content you have created. When using a demo, you have the benefit of pre-made layouts you can customize to some degree, but will need to delete all the demo pages and posts you won't use later when you're ready to launch.
To load the full demo:
- Click on Select Options > Import in your WordPress admin sidebar
- Choose the demo you would like to load from the Import drop-down. You may reference the demo names for themes with multiple demos on the theme's preview page:
- Select All from the Import Type drop-down
- Select YES to Import attachments or you will not get any images
- Click Import to begin the import.
- Be patient! This import process typically takes about 5 minutes while large images and content is transferred to your site. Do not navigate away from the page, and wait until it says complete at 100% before continuing.
To Set Specific Home Page
Some Select themes, such as Pitch, have one demo with multiple home page layouts. You may set your desired homepage under Settings > Reading
- Pitch Homepages. (under 12 Homepages heading)
- Kloe Homepages (listed under Home link in the menu)
- Grafik (listed under Home link in the main menu)
- Go to Settings > Reading and select A Static Page, then choose your desired page from the Front Page dropdown. Leave the Blog drop-down blank as your theme uses a template for this.
- Click Save Changes
Step 4 - Configure Theme Options
You can customize most aspects of your theme such as colors, fonts, layout and element visibility through the theme options panel.
- Click on Select Options in your WordPress admin menu to get started
- Go through each tab to customize the settings where desired.
- Click Save Changes when finished
Common Settings to check are:
- Your Google Maps API key under General
- Your Logo set under Logo
- Your Email Address set under Contact Page (if using the contact page template)
- The Social Icon links set under Social
Documentation links are provided below for a detailed guide to theme options
Step 5 - Customize Your Content
To begin customizing a pre-made page layout, view the page on the front-end and click Edit Page in your admin toolbar. The page editor will appear.
Pages created with the page builder will display a wireframe or layout of the page elements followed by a series of page options panels that allow you to override the global theme options. Other pages may use a static page template that cannot be changed.
See Select Pages for a detailed overview of page options.
When editing Pages, Posts or Portfolio items designed using WP Bakery Page Builder, you may edit the content of an element by hovering over it and clicking the pencil icon.
To delete and element, column or container, click the trash can icon.
Sections may be dragged and dropped into a different order using the handle on the top left corner of each section.
For detailed documentation on WP Bakery Page Builder (Visual Composer) and the various elements you can add, see the Visual Composer Tutorials site
To find out what kind of slider your home page uses:
- Edit the page
- First, do you see a Slider section in your layout? This is typically at the top and will say Revolution Slider etc. If so, you have a Revolution Slider. If not, continue:
- Scroll down to the Select General options and look at the Slider shortcode field:
- If your layout is using LayerSlider, the shortcode will say layerslider
- If it is using Select Slider (most of them do) it will say qodef_slider
Your shortcode will tell you the name of the slider it is using. In the above example, it is the Home Main Slider.
- Click on Select Slider in your admin menu and choose Sliders
- Locate the slider name used on your page and click the number in the third column. This is just an easy way to see all the slides assigned to this slider.
- Click a slide to begin editing it or to delete, hover over it and click Trash.
- The title of the slide is the large text title on your slide
- Any subtitle text is in the Select Slide General Subtitle area
- Any smaller text/paragraph is in the Select Slide General Text area
- You can have up to two buttons on the slide. To remove the button, backspace the button label and link fields content.
Documentation links are provided below for a detailed guide to Select Sliders
Any pre-made Revolution Slider loaded with your demo are found under Slider Revolution in your admin menu. Click on the slider thumbnail to enter the editor. View our Overview for Customizing slides
Importing Old Content
If you have pre-existing posts or products exported to XML format from another WordPress website, you may import them under Tools > Import
Important note for those of you migrating or importing content from a site that was not using StartIt:
Post types like portfolios, testimonials, etc from a different theme not made by Select probably won't work with your theme and will need to be re-created using your theme's post types.
Page layouts created in another theme that used a builder or shortcodes other than WP Bakery Page Builder ( Visual Composer) will not look the same or show any content when imported to your new site and will need to be recreated.
If you had posts such as Events or products that were created using a plugin on your old site, you need to install those plugins before importing your XML!
You will also need to do a few other things in WordPress before you're ready to launch:
- Customize Menus
- Customizing the Footer
- Select Themes: How to Edit the Social Icons in the Footer
- Select Themes: How do I Get My Contact Form To Look Like The Demo?
- Setup Your Email if using an address on your domain in contact forms
- Point Your Domain
For detailed help with creating custom forms and configuring your emails, see Getting Started With Contact Form 7