This article provides a brief outline of steps you need to take to setup your new Hosted account with the Salient theme.
If you are being asked to install plugins on your first login, see the section at the end of this article.
Step 1 - Configure WordPress
- Go to Settings > Permalinks
- Choose Post Name and click Save
Step 2 - Import Content
Next, you'll need to decide if you want to start building your site from scratch, or if you want to start from one of the demos. The benefit of starting from scratch is that you have the cleanest results and only the content you have created. When using a demo, you have the benefit of pre-made layouts you can customize, but will need to delete all the un-needed pages and posts later when you're ready to launch. Some demos load a great deal of content you may not use!
You may choose to load only demo page layouts, which import the individual page layouts shown in the various Avada demo sites, but without the images. This is suggested if you have existing WordPress content you plan to import.
- Click on Salient > Demo Importer
- Locate the demo you would like to load and click Import
- Click Yes to confirm
- Wait a few moments
- When complete, the Import button will say Imported.
See Salient: Importing Demo Content for detailed instructions
Step 3 - Configure Theme Options
You can customize most aspects of your theme such as colors, fonts, layout and element visibility through the theme options panel.
- Click on Salient in your WordPress admin menu to get started
- Go through each tab to customize the settings where desired.
- Click Save Changes when finished
Common Settings to check are:
- Your Logo set under the Logo tab
- Your Accent Colors
- The Footer text under Footer
- Your Social Media links
Now go to Visual Composer > Role Manager
- From the Pages drop-down at the top, choose Custom
- Check each box for the post types listed and then Save your changes.
Step 4 - Customize Your Content
When editing Pages, Posts or Portfolio items designed using Visual Composer, you may edit the content of an element by hovering over it and clicking the pencil icon.
To delete and element, column or container, click the trash can icon
To change thw width of a column inside a Container, click the number button in the top-left corner of the column and choose your desired width. Widths are relative to the total number of columns in that row - 1/1 is one full-width column, 2/3 is two-thirds of a 3 column layout and so on.
For detailed documentation on Visual Composer and the various elements you can add, see the Uncode Page Builder guide
Installing Required Plugins
Your theme may prompt you to install required plugins on a new setup or reinstall.
You will typically see a notice at the top of your page if plugins need to be installed:
Salient requires Salient Visual Composer and Envato Toolkit to be installed
- Click Begin installing plugins
- Click Install under Salient Visual Composer
- This process may take several minutes to complete - do not navigate away from the page until finished. The page will refresh and show you Activate links when install is complete.
- Once done installing, click Activate
Bundled plugins such as Visual Composer that come with your theme are managed by the theme and cannot be updated manually. You may safely dismiss and ignore any update notices for these plugins.