Some theme demos load some content into your footer such as Social Link icons using shortcodes or custom HTML that is difficult to edit and may break your footer. The following tip covers how to fix this using a plugin that provides an easy-to-use widget.
The plugin method is recommended to avoid issues that can result in lost widgets if your footer contains outdated shortcodes.
Creating Social Links using a Plugin
- Go to Plugins > Add New
- Search for Simple Social Icons and click Install, then Activate
- Go to the Appearance > Customize screen and go back into Widgets and expand the Footer Widget panel where you want the icons to appear.
- If there is an existing Text widget there with the old code, expand and click Delete on that widget
- Click Add Widget and select the Simple Social Icons widget
- Here you may customize the style of the icons if desired. Enter the full profile URLs to your social network profiles in the desired fields and click Save