Your domain name needs to be added to your account in order for the domain to find your new Envato Hosted site when typed into the browser. A working domain is also needed before you can test things like form submissions to an email @ your domain, Google Analytics, or other domain-related services.
This guide offers advice on how to point a domain name that is currently registered or managed by a neautral domain registrar such as namecheap, domain.com or GoDaddy and has not been transferred to Envato.
Before You Point Your Domain
Before you point an existing domain to Envato, ensure all migrations, backups or other content has been moved over from your current site if you have one - you may not be able to access it or its WordPress install once you change your domain settings.
Step 1 - Add The Domain To WordPress
- Login to your Envato Hosted dashboard at https://build.envatohostedservices.com/
- Click the gear icon under your listed plan on the right and choose Add Domain
- Choose the Do It Yourself option
- Enter your domain name into the field provided and click Submit Request
This will change your temp url to use your domain name instead of the auto-generated letters and numbers, which means you will need to use the new temp URL to access your admin until your domain is fully pointing to your new site.
Step 2 - Point the Domain To Us
- Login to your domain registrar (such as GoDaddy, namecheap, etc)
- Follow your registrar's guide or documentation to add our domain name servers to your domain DNS settings:
Links to popular registrar documentation are listed below for your convenience:
- GoDaddy: Changing DNS Server Names
- NameCheap: How to Change Nameservers
- Domain.com: Managing domains
It can take up to 24 hours for DNS changes with your registrar to take effect. In the meantime, you can access your site at your temp URL (be sure to check your email for the confirmation which contains your new temp url!)
If your domain is hosted by your former webhost and you want to fully cancel that account, you will need to transfer your domain. See How to Add a Domain to Envato Hosted
If you need a CNAME or A record
- Login to your Envato Hosted account and click the Domains tab
- Choose the appropriate task on the left menu OR
- Click edit on your listed domain.
Transferring away from Envato
If you have previously registered a domain with us but have cancelled your Hosted account, you still have control over the domain wherever it was registered, or you can transfer the domain to your new host following their domain transfer procedure.