DNS must be switched over before important features of your new Envato Hosted WordPress site will work, such as shop checkout, SSL, Google Analytics or other services that require a connection to your primary URL.
Before You Point Your Domain
Before you point an existing domain to Envato, ensure all migrations, backups or other content has been moved over from your current site - you may not be able to access it or its WordPress install once you switch over the DNS.
Add The Domain To Your Account
- Login to your Envato Hosted account and click the gear icon under your listed plan and choose Manage Domains (Add Domain)
- Click Setup Your Own Domain (3rd option)
- Instructions are provided on this screen for how to proceed. In brief:
- Login to your domain registrar or where the domain is currently hosted
- Edit the domain to access the DNS settings
- Enter our domain server names into the DNS settings (there are typically 2 - 4 fields you can fill in).
- Your registrar make take up to 72 hours to process your request and for your site to be visible everywhere in the world (ie, it may become visible to someone who lives where the registrar is before it is visible to someone far away). In the meantime, you may continue to access your Envato Hosted WordPress install using the temporary URL if needed.
* If your domain is hosted by your former webhost and you want to fully cancel that account, you will need to transfer your domain. See How to Add a Domain to Envato Hosted
How to Edit Your Domain Records
- Login to your Envato Hosted account and click the Domains tab
- Choose the appropriate task on the left menu OR
- Click edit on your listed domain.
Transferring away from Envato
If you have previously registered a domain with us but have cancelled your Hosted account, you still have control over the domain wherever it was registered, or you can transfer the domain to your new host following their domain transfer procedure.