Looking for help with how to backup your Envato Site? We got you covered - daily backups are run every day and the last 30 backups stored for you. See how to access them here.
The following instructions provide a general method of backup and restore that can be used in most WordPress environments. If your old site and new site use the same WordPress theme, your theme may have additional steps you should take to backup theme options or other custom data like Revolution Sliders and page layouts. Please refer to your theme author's documentation for this information!
There are a few different ways to backup page data in WordPress, each with its own results and uses.
- WordPress Export backs up your posts, pages, categories and tags to an XML file that can be used to import that content at a later time, or to another WordPress install. This does not backup any settings or widgets. Find under Tools > Export
- Media Backup is accomplished with various plugins or by you and refers to the backup or download of the contents of your Media Library. This data would only be restored on a site recovery or migration.
- Database backup backs up your WordPress database, but not any of your images or uploads
- Full Backup requires specialized plugins or services and will take a complete snapshot of your site, including all content, settings, database, media, themes and plugins.
- Below we cover these options in more detail.
If you just need to "undo" saved changes or restore a single page or post version, see How to Restore Pages with Revisions
Request a Site Migration
If you have an existing WordPress website you would like to transfer over to Envato Hosted, we can take care of that for you.
- Login to your Hosted Dashboard
- Click Support > Tickets > New Ticket
- Choose Hosted Support and select Migration
- Enter your existing site's FTP and WordPress login details
One of our engineers will get back to you as soon as possible to get any further information for you or give you an ETA.
Migrations will copy your entire site to our servers. If you chose a different theme when signing up to Envato Hosted and plan to switch your site over to that theme, you may find using a content export/import process described below to be easier.
If your previous blog is hosted on WordPress.com, please refer to this process to transfer your content.
Backup Content to XML
The WordPress exporter will create a file for you containing the content selected during the export process, such as posts, pages, categories and attached media. This file can be used to import all of this content, including the media library, in the event you lose your database or need to import it on a different WordPress install.
- Click on Tools→ Export
- Click the WordPress link.
- If prompted, follow the steps to install and activate the WordPress Importer plugin
Import XML data
The following process is the same for importing theme demo content XML files or WooCommerce dummy data on your new site. View Steps
Backup Widget Settings
To take a snapshot of all the widget settings for a single site (including all sidebars, etc) see How to Backup or Restore Widgets
We request that you submit a ticket for a Site Migration if you are in need of a full database restore from one WordPress site to your Envato Hosted account. Please do not use plugins that attempt to modify your database or access your file structure through WordPress.
For help with managing backups on your Envato Hosted site, see How to Manage Your Backups or Restore Your Site