This article provides a brief outline of steps you need to take to setup your new Hosted account with the Avada theme.
Step 1 - Quick Guided Tour
Avada provides detailed documentation and video guides for theme setup and using the Fusion Builder. We recommend watching the quick intro video before you begin customizing your site.
- Click on Avada in your WordPress admin menu
- Click the Watch Our Quick Guided Tour! link in the Welcome message.
Step 2 - Install Plugins
Before you can load any Fusion Builder page demos, or import full demo content, you will need to install the required plugins that come with your theme.
This is often done for you by the time you access your site. Skip this step if you see your plugins as installed on this page.
- Click on Avada in your admin menu and choose Install Plugins.
- Click Install and Activate on the required items.
- You may optionally install the recommended items, if desired.
Bundled plugins such as Visual Composer, Revoution Slider, LayerSlider, etc that come with your theme are managed by the theme and cannot be updated manually. You may safely dismiss and ignore any update notices for these plugins.
Step 3 - Import Content
Next, you'll need to decide if you want to start building your site from scratch, or if you want to start from one of the demos. The benefit of starting from scratch is that you have the cleanest results and only the content you have created. When using a demo, you have the benefit of pre-made layouts you can customize, but will need to delete all the un-needed pages and posts later when you're ready to launch. Some demos load a great deal of content you may not use!
You may choose to load only demo page layouts, which import the individual page layouts shown in the various Avada demo sites, but without the images. This is suggested if you have existing WordPress content you plan to import.
Option One: Load demo pages only
- Click Pages > Add New
- Click Use Fusion Builder button
- Click Templates in the main Fusion builder bar
- Click the Demos tab and select a demo from the drop down
- Click Load on the page template to load.
- Click the Save or Publish button in the upper-left of the editor.
- You may proceed to customize the layout and content. Click Save or Update often, or before navigating away from the page!
- Import your existing WordPress content under Tools > Import by choosing WordPress. If prompted to install the WordPress Importer, follow the prompts to proceed and activate.
Option Two: Load Full Demo
1. Click on Avada > Demos and hover over the thumnail to click Install. To avoid overlapping content, we recommend you only choose one.
2. Ensure the Required plugins are all active. Click Activate for any that are not active.
3. Under Import content, click All to load the whole demo. You may optionally choose only specific post types, or just the theme options to load the settings for a specific demo.
You may load more than one demo, however you will need to pay attention to the last Theme Options that are loaded as those will define the overall style of the site. If you need to remove a specific demo, return to this page, click the demo thumbnail, and choose Uninstall under Remove Content.
Please do not use a WP Reset plugin with this theme as it will remove your registration keys and other important configurations.
Step 4 - Check For Updates
From time to time, Avada will push minor fixes and updates to your site automatically.You will see an orange bubble indicating patches are available next to the Avada menu link in your WordPress admin.
Step 5 - Configure Theme Options
You can customize most aspects of your theme such as colors, fonts, layout and element visibility through the theme options panel.
- Click on Avada > Theme Options to get started
- Go through each tab to customize the settings where desired.
- Click Save Changes when finished
Important Settings to check are:
- Your Logo set under the Logo tab
- Your Email Address set under Contact Form
- Enter your Google Maps API key under Contact Form > Google Maps
- The Social Icon links set under Social Media
Step 6 - Customize Your Content
When editing Pages, Posts or Portfolio items designed using the Fusion Builder, you may edit the content of an element by hovering over it and clicking the paintbrush icon.
Fusion Builder basics:
Editing the element, column or container will open a settings panel where you can configure the element or edit the content.
To delete and element, column or container, click the trash can icon:
To change thw width of a column inside a Container, click the number button in the top-left corner of the column and choose your desired width. Widths are relative to the total number of columns in that row - 1/1 is one full-width column, 2/3 is two-thirds of a 3 column layout and so on.
For detailed documentation on Fusion Builder and the various elements you can add, see the Avada Documentation site.